In 1978, this Strong Manchester Woman’s life changed forever. It was the year her Geoffrey, her youngest son was born. Geoffrey has Down’s syndrome and Bernie struggled to cope. That was until she came across a unique support service designed for especially for mums like her.
In this episode, your host Vic Elizabeth Turnbull speaks to Bernie Wood, the general manager of Talbot House, a brilliant user-led support service for parents carers of children with severe learning disabilities. The service is based in North Manchester and is ran by Bernie, who’s 80 years old and has been doing this for 40 years and shows no sign of slowing down!
Trigger Warning – in this episode we discuss some sensitive issues, including suicide. So, if you think that this episode could affect your mental health, then please do skip it.
Bernie talks passionately about,
- the reality of giving birth to a disabled child in the 1970’s
- what life’s really like as a parent carer
- using humour as a way to keep going
- the importance of staying healthy in order to be able to help others
- writing to the government to instigate change
- the human-side of caring for a disabled child
- hitting rock bottom and picking herself back up
- visiting Buckingham Palace and what winning awards really mean to her
Get Mam and Dad’s heads ok and the kids will be ok.
More info about the things mentioned in the episode
- The amazing service that Bernie runs is Talbot House, they support families of people with learning disabilities. Visit their website here for more info, including how to visit, donate or support.
- If you’re not around the Greater Manchester area, there’s links to other helpful services here
- Write to your local councillor, MP or MEP – this helpful website will tell you who they are and send the message for you WritetoThem.com
- Suicide Prevention helplines
- Samaritans – for everyone. Call 116 123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) – for men. Call 0800 58 58 58 – 5pm to midnight every day or Visit the webchat page
- Papyrus – for people under 35Call 0800 068 41 41 – Monday to Friday 10am to 10pm, weekends 2pm to 10pm, bank holidays 2pm to 5pm, Text 07786 209697 or Email email@example.com
Read the full transcript of this episode here
11th September 2019
Listen here too,
You can also listen on your preferred podcast player too, simply search ‘Strong Manchester Women’. This includes…
Strong Manchester Women
The podcast is inspired by the annual Strong Women campaign. The 14 women profiled in this series were selected for the 2019 campaign. For more information about the women visit The Pankhurst Trust’s website
Listen to other Strong Manchester Women podcast episodes here